Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Christmas Tree That Almost Wasn't

This year, I told Joe we really didn't need to put up a tree.

My reasons...
We already had our special Christmas Tree shopping trip and found trees for Brooke and Scott, and Noah, Amy, and Abe.  Wasn't that enough?
No one would really be celebrating the holidays at our house.
The Christmas spirit was alive and well in Hittyville, complete with Christmas Trees.
And...to be truthful, Christmas is sometimes difficult without my parents, especially my dad.  He was Father Christmas in every sense of the word.  Choosing the tree was a huge family event and then the decorating of it was a party which was more magical than one could ever imagine.
There was eggnog, homemade Christmas cookies, Christmas music, laughter...and most of all, love.

And then...

After I laid out my case for not having a Christmas Tree, Joe looked at me with those beautiful blue eyes of his and his words penetrated deep into my soul.
This Christmas...to him...was the most special yet.
It was the first Christmas we had together as a couple.  Brooke and Noah were very young when we married.
It was time for US to decorate a Christmas Tree together with new traditions as well as old.  Life doesn't stop or pause because yesterday is gone.
It is important to remember every yesterday was once a today.

Have I mentioned lately how wise my husband is and how lovingly he is able to guide me to "the light"?

We did decorate our tree with ornaments we picked out together, Joe put on our favorite Christmas music...and along with our four "helpful" dogs, we made this new special holiday ritual a time to remember.

And what I will remember most of all is the love...
Thank you, Joe.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story to go along with a beautiful tree.
    ((((LOVE YOU SISTER)))) And...
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I love you too and can't wait to spend the holidays together…

      Delete
  2. Always good to look forward, start 'new' traditions etc...glad you decided to put a tree up.

    ReplyDelete