Friday, December 9, 2016

Mr. Gray

Earlier this week, our neighbor, Robert Gray, passed away...after a long illness...at the age of 77.
The first time I met Mr. Gray I told him I was glad we would be neighbors, but was a bit sad the big corner piece of land on our township road would be filled up with a house.  Believe me, I did say it in a very nice way.  
Mr. Gray...I always called him that...responded that while he served our country in the Navy for 23 years, he dreamed about that land he had bought long ago and how he looked forward to building his dream house and retiring there.
That sure put things into perspective for me.  
Mr. Gray would tell Joe and myself many stories about his days in Vietnam piloting the river patrol boats.  He was active in Veteran's groups and I do believe he left part of his being in Vietnam.
  I am so glad Mr. Gray built that house.  His friendship ended up meaning much more than several empty acres.
Our condolences to Barbara Gray, Mr. Gray's lovely wife.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how our perspectives can change in this way. Sounds like he was a very good neighbour to have in the end.

    ReplyDelete