Wednesday, December 7, 2016

December 7th

When I was a little girl, calendar dates held really no special meaning for me with the exception of my birthday and Christmas.
But of course as I got older, that all changed.
And now...December 7th holds several special meanings.

Pearl Harbor was the 9-11 of Mom and Dad's generation and it happened on December 7th.
I remember Mom telling me life changed that day for our country.
And Dad served in the Navy during that same war.

And then...
December 7th is the day my dad passed away...nine years ago.
I miss him every day and am eternally grateful for the memories.
My heart has healed with time.
This picture of Cassi and myself with Dad was taken on January 24, 1955 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida...and I remember that moment like it was yesterday, not almost 62 years ago!

And now...
December 7th is Abe's half birthday.  He is 3 and a half years old today.
I see Dad's smile and joyful spirit in my grandson.

Yes, December 7th holds many meanings for me these days...and the events are all connected in some way.
~Life is like that~

2 comments:

  1. Strange how dates and events can end up connecting like they do. Memories, new and old and those being made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that you learn so many things now that you thought were boring in your younger years.

    ReplyDelete