Monday, April 6, 2015

Moving Into The Next Generation

Our family gathered together at my sister's home for an Easter celebration.
Cassi is the best of cooks and such a wonderful hostess.  I look forward to our family holidays.
But this Easter was different in a reflective way.  I looked around at our children who are now all adults and then looked at their children...those who have them...and then looked back at Cassi and Kate, my sisters.
How could this be?  How could we have moved to this place of being the older generation?  Mom and Dad, no actually my Oma and Opa held that title, not me, not my siblings.
For a moment in time, I rebelled against my new place in our family.  I was still Brooke and Noah's age...I was still small like Abe, surrounded by lots of older, wiser family members who loved me and would help me grow into the adult I was meant to be.
And then...I took a deep breath.
Grow into the adult I was meant to be.  That is exactly what I did.
It occurred to me it's all about taking turns in this life.
I had my turn as a child.
I had my turn as a young adult.
And so did my parents and grandparents.
And now it is my turn to be the older generation.
And what that older generation is...is totally up to me.  The only limits I have are those I put on my own self.
So, the challenge is to make this "new" place I find myself in as wonderful as I can for me...and the younger generations....who God willing...will find themselves where I am today.
It's all about evolving...and for someone like me, who does not always embrace transitions easily...it may take a bit longer.
But I will get there.
Heck, I'm already on my way!  

No comments:

Post a Comment