Friday, April 3, 2015

Farewell, My Dear Frida Friend

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I share with you the tragic news our friend, Yolanda Zaragoza...just 33 years old, passed away suddenly in a car accident yesterday.
Yolanda was our server at a local Mexican restaurant, but quickly became a cherished friend...and remained so for the past eleven years.  Yolanda kept one foot planted in Mexico, the land of her birth, but loved America as well.
We shared a passion for all things Frida Kahlo and Yolanda was constantly giving me crash courses on Mexican holidays, traditions, and her culture, in general.
She loved the new Pope with her whole being and her Catholic faith was central to who she was.
Yolanda leaves behind a beloved ten year old daughter and more relatives than one can imagine.  I teased her that in my "next life" I wanted to be part of her Mexican family.  Yolanda generously told me I should become part of her family now and invitations were offered to several gatherings.
Yolanda will be missed beyond what my words can express by so many...I am filled with the hope and expectation that God is embracing her and welcoming her Home.  
Trying to make sense of Yolanda's passing is futile.  I have difficulty understanding loss.  But I do believe that we will meet again...and I imagine Frida will join us for the best of conversations and maybe even an art lesson will be thrown in.  Shouldn't everything wonderful be possible in Heaven?

Adios...for now...dearest Yolanda. 

2 comments:

  1. Hugs my friend and yes everything wonderful is possible in Heaven I just know it.

    ReplyDelete