Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Gift

Yesterday was my dad's birthday and I was missing him quite a bit.  For those of you who have lost loved ones, I know you understand the aches and pains of the physical separation that sneak up on you as time goes on...sometimes out of the blue and most expectantly, on special anniversaries like birthdays.
Last night, Joe and I were enjoying our usual Friday night Olive Garden dinner, sitting at the bar.  We love sitting there visiting with the servers and regulars and catching up on our activities of the week.
This Friday night was different.  An older man...dressed in his motorcycle clothes, complete with long beautiful hair...sat down next to me and was there to get a to go order.  It wasn't ready so he had an iced tea and I asked him if the extreme heat had been bothering him on his bike.
He turned to me and gave me the biggest, most powerful smile and told me it was perfect weather for riding his motorcycle and that he was a lifelong biker.  I then asked him if he had ever had any accidents on his bike.
He smiled again and this time...all I could see was my dad's trademark smile... proceeded to tell me he wasn't at all worried about being in an accident because he was surrounded by angels every time he got on his bike.
Being the curious person I am, Lenny and I had the most fascinating of conversations about his 17 years as a born again Christian and his take on how God works through us and most importantly, our words to one another.  Whatever your belief system may be, I can assure you Lenny's words came from a place of love for his fellow man and his God.
Joe and I agreed we had never met anyone quite like Lenny.  His passion for this holy life we have been given was such a refreshing change from the cynicism we encounter in our society on a regular basis.
As we got ready to go our separate ways, Lenny shook Joe's hand and looked him straight in the eye and told him he knew Joe was a very special human being.  He then looked at me with that electrifying smile of his and told me Joe and I were always destined to be together. 
I hugged Lenny goodbye and felt something I needed to feel on this 90th birthday of my dad...Love from my earthly father and love from my heavenly Father.

I do believe God works in mysterious ways...We met Lenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment