Saturday, August 13, 2016

My Week With Abe

I just spent a week watching Abe while Noah and Amy worked.  Abe's school and before and after care does not begin for yet another week.  Amy's mom, Judy, will be with him next week.

I learned so much about Abe and myself during the many hours he was in my care.  I raised two children and taught young children...including three year olds...like Abe...for 38 years.  So I thought this experience would be a breeze.
But things are different...with me...not three year olds.
My polio arm has weakened over the years and fatigue sets in very quickly when I overuse it.  In addition, the heat index hovered around 100 degrees all week, which meant we were constantly indoors.  I cannot lift Abe, so car rides were out of the question.  Thank you to Scott and Brooke for taking us on a field trip on Friday!
Joe was amazing...He drove me to Noah and Amy's...an hour plus journey each way...and home every day and missed some work, but as we all know, it takes a village and we were more than happy to help out!  That is what family is all about.
I learned patience this week...not so much with Abe as with myself.  My grandson is in the midst of potty training and doing a fantastic job!  I forgot how much a three year old pees and poops!
Abe is extremely bright and curious and was on the go every minute...no naps and very little down time.  We did some projects and "papers", but most of our time was devoted to creative and imaginative play.  Abe had endless ideas about how we should play Mother and Father Bird, Tower City, Cars and Planes...just to name a few.
And then there was the "What are going to do next, Oma?" question.
By Friday afternoon, I was pretty well tired out...and so was my arm.
I have renewed respect for Noah and Amy who teach and work long hours with students in the inner city of Cleveland and then come home to their Energizer Bunny of a son as well as all the household responsibilities...and their wonderful dog, Ellie.

I am happy to be back on the farm with my animals and all of my Hittyville Friends today.  But I wouldn't have traded my week with Abe for anything.
I told him...during one of our many "couch conversations"...I hope we built at least one lasting memory of our time together for him to recall when he is spending time with his grandchild far into the future.
Abe looked me in the eyes and very seriously said..."Okay, Oma"...which surprised me a bit because I was sure he did not truly comprehend my statement.
~But then again, maybe he did~

No comments:

Post a Comment