Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Year of the Squirrel and Serenity

 I have decided to celebrate my 65th year and those precious ones that will follow with a special theme.
This year I have chosen the Squirrel as my Animal Friend and the word Serenity to concentrate on as I continue on my journey.


 Way back in 1957...I was just 7 years old...my parents took me to see the Disney movie, Perri.  Living in a forest filled with oak trees and squirrels, I totally fell in love with this movie.
My dad rescued a hairless squirrel during that time period and we named the poor creature Perri...AND...she survived and hopefully lived a long happy life in our Gnome Forest.
I remembered that movie as I reflected on the many wonderful memories of my childhood...in anticipation of my 65th birthday...and decided this should be the Year of the Squirrel!

And then...
 A day before my birthday, I looked out side door and saw a SQUIRREL!
I could not believe my eyes because we rarely see squirrels on our farm and when we do, they stay a week at the most before moving on.
This morning, I snapped a picture of "Perri" getting ready to eat her breakfast.
I am so thankful she is still living in one of our many maple trees and making use of our squirrel feeder!

And so...
 In honor of this very special year, I am adding to my collection of squirrels.
Hobby Lobby had a fantastic assortment to choose from in their Fall Collection!
I have this sweet duo sitting in a place of honor by Father Gnome.


 These two little friends are living on my kitchen windowsill and have a great view of Perri at her feeding station.


 And these two Squirrelkins sit happily by my journal where I can "visit" with them every day.

And as for my 65th Year Word...
I especially want to focus on Serenity and this prayer has always meant so much to my spirit.
As I continue on this journey of life, these words are even more meaningful to me.

~Giving thanks~

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good approach to your 65th year indeed. Love the squirrels. We have squirrels here everyday - they eat all the nuts and seed from our bird feeders! One of the first toys I ever made my eldest son was a squirrel...we still have it - must hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the squirrel you made for your son!

      Delete