Friday, October 2, 2015

On This Second Day of October

"There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on
the feelings, as now in October."
-  Nathaniel Hawthorne


This is the tall tree bare and brown,
And these are the brown leaves fluttering down.
This is the squirrel with eyes so bright,
Hunting for nuts with all her might.
This is the hole where day by day,
Nut after nut she stores away.
When winter comes with its cold and storm,
She'll sleep all curled up all snug and warm.


Hello Dear Friends...
Today was Project Day.  I finished The Doll Family's kitchen, got my Journal up to date, worked in my Prayer Journal, made a Dick, Jane, and Sally collage for Maryellen's kitchen, and was thrilled with my Salvation Army doll clothes and accessory set from The Queen's Treasures.  I treated myself to a Big Mac...as a reward for all my "hard work" and loved every single bite.  I don't eat them very often, but when I do...YUM!


 
My other entertainment was watching Gypsy wait for the little mouse to pop her head up again...through the vent!
I should have taken a video...It was the funniest scene.  We live in the country, so an occasional field mouse finds its way into our house in the fall.
Joe set the Have-a-Heart trap down in the vent...Hopefully there aren't too many to catch!


Last week, Grammy Judy came all the way from Minnesota to visit with Abe and enjoyed every precious minute she spent with our grandson.  We gathered together last night for a family dinner and had fun catching up.  I love Judy and am so happy she is the other grandmother!  As you can see from this picture, Abe was in constant motion.  His latest "activity" is putting his little cars into his cup of water...and then attempting to drink the water!
I tell you, there is never a dull moment with that boy...


Tomorrow I hope to share a couple of Hittyville Adventures and finish up Maryellen's kitchen.

I am trying to stay focused on all that is good in the world, while being ever so mindful of those mourning the loss of loved ones in Oregon.  My prayers are with all the families affected by this senseless tragedy.

Noah just called me and I told him I was doing a journaling blog.  I wondered if I might share what he is going through in his professional life and he said "By all means...People should know what is happening."
Noah teaches in a charter school in Cleveland's inner city.  This morning the staff was "greeted" by several Cleveland Police Officers with some disturbing news.  It seems there is a turf war brewing between two rival street gangs.  The leader of one of the gangs is being released from prison next week and  members of an affiliated rival gang in LA are reportedly en route to Cleveland.  If you live in the Cleveland area, I am sure you are aware of the gun violence that has been escalating recently...and this is part of the reason why.  The problem for my son is his school is in the turf war area.  The teachers are being asked to be at school during school hours ONLY.  Noah is devastated by this news.  He loves his students and they have so much to deal with as it is.  My son's work is a kind of ministry and I am so proud of him.
Please keep everyone involved in your thoughts and prayers.

I had no idea how this blog entry would turn out.  It sort of evolved...especially with Noah's call.  Life is like that...unexpected twists and turns.

Off to work on my pixel art...I am determined to show you the finished art project SOON!  I have been creating it for ages.

With a heart filled with many emotions tonight...
Vicki of Hittyville

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post Vicki, and sounds like you have been oh so very busy indeed. It is good to stay focussed on the positive.

    It must be quite scary and worrying for Noah and I hope that nothing happens and that they are just all being over cautious which is always better than not being prepared.

    Looking forward to seeing your finished art project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I do worry, but not overly so...Noah is committed to his inner city teaching and I honor and respect that.

      Delete